Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never ever prior to have many scientific advancements and new methods emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers countless individuals the opportunity to reduce or remove their need for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio ads are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the pain-free and fast method to remedy vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Before you opt to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to help make sure that you will be happy with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgery in any field of medication is an educated patient. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting recommendations from other doctors or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be tricked by elegant ads about a specific laser center. Pick the physician, not this hyperlink the laser center. Discover out who will in fact do your treatment, then ask about that doctor's certifications (e.g., board certification, unique training).
3. Pick a doctor who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. Exactly what a physician doesn't understand can injure you.
Ask for details on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgical treatment issue rates. If your medical professional won't tell you, find another one.
Ask exactly what steps are taken to prevent infection. Insist that your eye is completely sterilized, and insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to get rid of the risk of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Beware of advertisements pushing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount surgical treatment is as excellent as a discount rate parachute. The possible cost savings are unworthy the danger of receiving less than professional care!
7. Anticipate to see extremely well after LASIK, but don't anticipate to see perfectly. Each patient gets a somewhat different outcome. The best surgeon in the world can't guarantee 20/20 vision. Just important site like any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as individual as each patient. Beware of any doctor who guarantees 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you most likely are. You're not buying a automobile; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely provide much better vision than LASIK. Ask your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, do not forget the advantages: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually enhanced the eyesight of countless individuals all over the world.